Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

back in the saddle, finally!

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to get back into the daily routine of sewing since coming back from vacation. I mean, it's been over two weeks already! But finally these last couple of days, I've felt that familiar joy that comes from working in my sewing room.

I realized that my long-arm quilter is scheduled to have my New York Beauty quilt finished next week, and I wanted to have another project to bring to her when I pick it up. I dug deep into the unfinished projects bin to find this top - Radiant Suns...


In late 2008 or early 2009, I had finished all the swirl blocks and sewn them into the center 6 by 6 block grid. This week I decided on the dark navy inner border and bright yellow outer border to finish up the top.  Now it measures 67" square.


These blocks were made from fat quarters and a pattern and template set called "Radiant Suns" by Cara Gulati at doodlepress.com. This was a great quilt to practice curved piecing! Each block is made of 5 different sized arcs, but there are no seams to match when joining the blocks. So you just piece each block, and then cut them all to a uniform size before joining them into rows and columns. Easy!


Here are a couple of my favorite swirls in the quilt top...



It feels so good to be back in my sewing room, to have another project ready for the quilter, and something sewing related to show all of you! And can I just say how nice it is to have beautiful summer weather and flowers to help with taking quilt photos!!

Happy weekend everyone :)

9 comments:

  1. This is a yummy quilt, Shelley....I'm glad that you are finishing it up this summer...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the super-swirly effect of how you arranged the blocks, and the border colors complement the center beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous. Is it from a pattern or tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Love all those big swirls and batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors! Thank you for sharing your quilt!
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been holding out! I've never seen that one before, it's gorgeous! I'd love to see those templates. What a great quilt for batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a stunning pattern and the fabrics you used are perfect for it! I will have to look for these templates. Someday, I would like to be brave enough to do curved piecing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That top is GORGEOUS! Love the fabrics, and I'm looking forward to see how it'll be quilted. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading a little bit about me and taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...