Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

back in my happy place

Happiness is a rainbow hexagon pillow...

Just finished this little beauty yesterday, and I'm thinking of re-decorating the entire house around it. Well, not really, but it is HAPPY, yes? I wasn't too sure if I liked the quilting when it was done, but it's growing on me. If I tell you what I originally thought it looked like, then that is all you'd be able to see, and I don't want to spoil it for you. I put the green binding on just like you would for a quilt, mainly because after quilting it I realized it needed another pop of color to set it off from the all white pillow backing. And I added a zipper to the back so it can be washed - think it might need it someday with that white???
This was my first foray into English paper-piecing (before this I had no idea what that even meant) and I really enjoyed the process. I don't think I have the focus necessary to complete an entire quilt made from these hexagons... there are less than 100 in this pillow and that was enough for me. I take my hat off to all the people I see online who are piecing these things by the thousands - you go, girls! But I learned something new, and I have something beautiful to show for it in the end. What could be better?
P.S. I have to give credit to my daughter for suggesting the rainbow layout in the first place. You were right, honey!


3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely, happy, fun pillow! You've given me the incentive to do one of my own, I hope you're happy, Shelley!

    I don't think this could have come out any cuter. Your daughter is brilliant, too. Don't you love it when you get good advice? :)

    Susan/FlossieBlossoms

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hexagons and I love rainbows - this is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading a little bit about me and taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...