Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

summer pillow love

My mom is here visiting for a couple of days (Happy Mother's Day to us!) so I've been busy shopping and cooking with her - yeah! (I made my best cherry pie yet on Monday, Aunt Mimi.)
But I did manage to finish this Quartered Squares/Modified Bento box summery pillow (tutorial for this block at film in the fridge.) The idea of making a pillow from this block came from Give it a Go, and the concentric squares quilting idea came from RedPepperQuilts. Lots of thanks to all those ladies for inspiration!
I had a bit of difficulty with the quilting on the first attempt - I decided to just "eyeball it" rather than re-read Rita's post and figure out how to do the marking... DISASTER. Had to rip everything out, find the post, read the post, and mark all the quilt lines. And now woo-hoo, I'm very happy with the way it turned out!
I added some zippy red polka dots for the back and a zipper - I love zippers on pillows - and now she's all ready for summer.
Made this sweet little bag for mom today. Have you made any of these Snap Happy bags yet? They are so fast, so easy, and so darn cute!! With two fat quarters, a few 3" square scraps, and a metal measuring tape from the dollar store you can have three different sized little pouches for makeup, sewing supplies, iPod, cell phone, whatever. I think my 12 year old daughter is scheming to make a boat-load of these for Christmas gifts this year :)

I can't stop thinking about the cherry pie sitting in the kitchen. Is is wrong to eat cherry pie BEFORE dinner?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley! Very nice pillow - and the bag is cute too - is it from a pattern?
    I'm so pleased that you are in our quilting bee. I added your Paintbox quilt to my Flickr favourites a while ago, it's so beautiful, and when I saw your name come up with the bee I thought, there's a familiar name! Can't wait to get started on the bee! And I have HEAPS of time to think about mine (because I'm lucky last!!)
    Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pillow, the quilting is right on!! Even your pillow reminds me of cherry pie. Nice snap happy bag too. I have both of those fabrics. You have 22 followers now, you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pillow is super sweet...love the dots on back! I'm sure that pie is super yummy, love cherry pie (and peach and blueberry)! Hope you've had an awesome time with your mama : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading a little bit about me and taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...