Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

awake before the birds

It's AMAZING what you can accomplish during a thunderstorm when everyone else in the house is sleeping! Saturday at 3:30am multiple lightning strikes woke me up, and after laying there for 30 minutes getting more and more mad about not being able to sleep, I decided to just get up already. What a great kick-start to an incredible productivity streak!!

First up at 4:00am: I am starting a new pillow-making club at my LQS called "Pillow Panache". Each month we'll be making a decorative pillow with increasingly challenging piecing and decorative options. The first month of August will feature this jelly-roll strip pillow ...


Of course my sample is made from all Kaffe Collective fabrics :) It measures 16" square, and I quilted it with random, irregular straight lines. I love, love, love the way it turned out, and consequently I had a very difficult time turning it over to the shop for display! This is the back featuring a centered zipper...

A close-up shot of the quilting...

After finishing the pillow I thought that perhaps potential students might not be as excited as I am about Kaffe's wild colors and prints, so I made this more traditional version as well...

Got all the finishing touches done on those babies and delivered them to the shop today with this super-cute and super-easy makeup bag...

Terry Atkinson makes her patterns so simple to understand, that you can't help but succeed!

Great news for Jennifer at That Girl, That Quilt - her Fresh Modern Bee blocks are finished and will be making their way to her home after a trip to the post office tomorrow morning. And just in time because I received the fabrics for July from Karrie Lynn at Freckled Whimsy in my mailbox this afternoon!

But the project that was eating up most of my time lately is this Christmas quilt...

The fabrics and pattern are from Clothworks called "Birds and Berries". My LQS had their Christmas fabric unveiling this past weekend, and I was stitching my little fingers to the bone to get it finished on time. Whew!!

Now it's time to get really serious about finishing my Kaffe Crayon Box. I finally decided on a plan for the backing and ordered the fabrics over the weekend. I'm hoping to finish it before the July 15 ending of the SSSQ Kaffe Fassett Quilt-Along on Facebook, so I'll sign off for now and head back up to the sweatshop!!

We are having spectacular weather here in northern Illinois this week... hopefully I can squeeze in some pool time :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy! I love the Kaffe pillow. I have got a Kaffe jelly roll and have been wondering what to do with it - this might just be the ticket! Freezing cold here - had to scrape ice off the windscreen this morning before the school run - don't think I remember seeing ice that thick before!! Have a great day, Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Kaffe pillow, and it's spectacular on that red chair. The dotted back is luscious, too. Look forward to seeing more of the monthly pillow projects!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading a little bit about me and taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...